After releasing the 4k demo SWAY, I’ve received much positive feedback regarding the synth that was used to produce the music. The synth is based on a new work-in-progress project that I have not released yet. However, my colleges convinced me to participate in the Mozilla Dev Derby (April 2012 is all about audio), so I submitted a slightly stripped down version yesterday (I had to remove the PHP/server parts). So, now you can try it out at least (it’s GPL, so all source is available): I call it SoundBox Lite.
The background to the tool is obviously Sonant Live, but with some useful changes:
- The soft synth core was rewritten, generally giving better sound quality (better filter logic, supporting sharp transients etc) and faster sound generation.
- There are now four note tracks per pattern, so you can do proper chords.
- An “effects track” was added per pattern, which gives you the opportunity to change any instrument / fx parameter dynamically (quite useful!).
- A new distortion effect was added, giving that powerful dirty sound.
- Also, some functions that I personally did not use that much, or that were just redundant, were removed (for a more compact player routine).
I will continue working on a more public release. In the meantime, enjoy the demo.
EDIT: You can find the official tool here: SoundBox.